Tuesday, December 16, 2008

LA Day 1: Disney, Dorothy and Taper

P1070932
Walt Disney hall thing

LA Day 1: I walked a few blocks from the hotel (homeless people everywhere) to the area around the Disney music hall thing. It's fantastic on the outside: the shiny silver panels, the rooftop garden, the views of the city. The inside is like the 1970s-esque Air Force base church my Dad used to go to: wood everywhere and yet according to the audio tour, it's ornamental, not acoustic. What's great about the audio tour is (1) it's free, (2) it's self-guided and (3) it really does take you all the way through the building so you feel like you get a good look at it.

P1070948
Dorothy Chandler Pavillion

P1070969
(the side of) Mark taper Forum

Walking in the main plaza between the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and the Mark Taper Forum (Did they have an aversion to the word "theatre"?) is a journey back in time to the 1960s. While I am still bitter that they destroyed so much of America's historic architecture and downtown neighborhoods to build this period's designs, I can appreciate them. Though, the Mark Taper Forum looks like Tomorrowland.

I saw other stuff like government buildings and what not, but these are the highlights.

As the hours drifted away, I walked back in the direction of the hotel. I ate a Subway footlong (the employee charged me tax but did not charge the guy behind me) and walked back to the hotel (got lost) where I caught the city bus (worse than a NYC subway at rush hour) to the venue (stunning) with much (not all) of the cast.

No comments: