Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Money: a boring read

The Standard: rooftop coffee
My money problem since starting this job was this: each month my bank account would go up at the same rate as my credit card debt. But the debt was always $1k more then the bank account amount. How could this be? I make shitty money, but not THAT shitty.

And the only reason I even had credit card debt to begin with was I lived off my tour savings summer 2008 and didn't work. Shame on me. So for the months after I knew I was getting this gig, I lived using this zero percent interest APR intro-rate credit card.
I asked my credit card company what was going on. They didn't know.

I asked people who were good with money. They couldn't figure it out.

I read that free Suze Orman book Oprah was giving away on her wesite

I decreased my monthly cell bill by $20 each month by shutting off internet access.

I signed up for Mint.com and have been watching my finances more carefully.

I've been more aware of how much I am spending on food, THE biggest expenditure while on this job.
But still no answer to why there was a leak in my finances. If I couldn't figure this out, I would be working for the next five months only to leave this job (a) in credit card debt and (b) with zero savings.

I kept the thought of "Why?" bouncing around in my head and came up with a solution. I had some spare cash in another savings account and I would use that to pay off my credit card debt. Done. I did it today. I am also not using my credit card for food purchases and am using Mint.com, so hopefully I will be able to figure out if there really is something fishy going on, or if I was just doing incorrect math.

So from here on out, I should be seeing some sort of savings, as my expenses (storage unit in Orlando, student loans, ROTH IRA, food, phone, web site fees) cannot possibly more than my income.

No comments: