Sunday, March 29, 2009

There's an audience watching

Friday's two-show-day March 27, 2009, was awesome at Ruth Eckerd Hall:
-I had my own dressing room

-The wifi in the venue was excellent

-Rich people meet and greet after the show, thrown by the venue
I like these meet and greets because it reminds me that people are watching the show. Everyone in attendance at this one was a donor (ie: rich) One guy came up to and told me he was glad to see someone gay in the show. Um. Another told me I had an "interesting" take on my character. Oh. And then I had a great conversation with a donor who reminded me that the show has a great message. Do you know what he said the message was to him? "F*** it." I asked him what he meant and he said the show is all about letting life happen and taking what comes. Well ok I like that.

I spoke with many other donors and I brought the subject of arts funding up, over and over. I spoke to them about the dire straights Orlando Opera is in, how tours like this are going to go away if people don't attend them and how arts orgs might not disappear in this economic climate, but simply morph into different entities.

A couple people asked me what it's like to be on the road. I told them I was gratful to even be employed right now, but that the road is very hard. I don't know if they believed me. I think sometimes audiences see the show and forget what a traveling circus this thing is. Buses, hotel rooms, stress. And when you tell them, they just don't believe you because they see you as living some sort of dream. I'm just trying to pay a cell phone bill here, folks.
___________________________________________________
Reviews | Email | Twitter | FaceBook | Youtube | LinkedIn | Website | Flickr

No comments: