Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Arkansas Gazette invents new word for me

The Arkansas Gazette said "he completely loses the song" and they invented a new word to describe me in their review: swishbuckler. Freaking love it. Mark "Swishbucker" Baratelli. Oh and they hated my performance. Surprise.
"And heaven help us, but what was director Dalett Norris thinking when he staged "Herod's Song"? Having Mark Baratelli play Herod as a swishbuckler is one thing, but adding a bevy of bossa nova-costumed screamers and camping up the number so much he completely loses the song, destroys what should have been one of the shows most entertaining moments."
-Eric E. Harrison, ArkansasOnline, April 21, 2009

8 comments:

Laura :) said...

That. Is. Fantastic!

Mark Baratelli said...

RIGHT!!????

Michael Walters said...

Remember. This man making any kind of homo reference towards you is the pot calling the kettle black.. the only difference is that your kettle sits out and openly, shining on the stove... His kettle hides in the deep recesses of the pantry playing D&D with his utensil. Eric is a complete dilletante without the talent to back his opinions up.

Eric Harrison said...

In response to Michael Walters: I appreciate his comment but he's completely wrong. I made a reference toward the character Mark plays, not him. I don't care what his sexual preference is and it isn't any of my business, any more than my sexual preference is his business, or Michael's business (I'm openly straight, if it makes any difference). And while whether or not I have any actual talent may be disputable, I have the *experience* to back up my opinions. I have been an actor for more than 30 years and have done my share of musical theater, including two Lloyd Webber shows — "Evita" and "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat."

Anonymous said...

oh good lord. im trying not to say anything. im trying really really hard. the power of christ compells me. -josh lamon

Summer said...

To Eric:

THen with your extensive experience on the stage and off, you should know that having your performance panned in ANY context in a review should affect how you feel about YOUR performance. I know that any time I've ever gotten a negative or bad review ( which doesn't happen since I'm awesome ) I've never thought " Man, I know it's a review on the direction and not on my performance. "

Mark is an evil genius of musical theater. He's amazing.

Anonymous said...

If you're going to make fun of them for making a typo, you might not want to have a typo of the same word in your own post.

Mark Baratelli said...

"Swishbuckler" is not a typo. He merged the words "swish" and "swashbuckler" to create a new word. The word directly implies gay, swishy, effeminate.