Saturday, October 3, 2009

You must explain your song and give a nod

P1300043Thursday I auditioned for another national tour. This one was for "Cabaret." I forget I have to give the pianist a nod before I sing. So this time I did the forgetting and just began singing. The pianist did not play anything. And the first note is (comically) long. I am standing in the middle of a room in front of strangers, singing a note with no music underneath it. Forever. And he never comes in. And its my fault. I am now thrown.

What do I do? Do I cut it short? Do I keep going? I'm running out of breath. Do I stop and go to the pianist and asked what i did wrong?

I keep going. I just said to myself, "This will be terrible, but you will not stop committing... to the terrible-osity." So I finished the first long note and went on and sang the first few lines. Here we go. The piano music comes in... and from where I was standing in the room, the accompaniment was jarringly quiet. I got thrown again.

So here I am, thrown twice, singing a comedic song... earnestly? What!? When did I rehearse this? I am singing a song in a way I have never sung it before. I am dying inside. But, I am like "I am going to not give up and I am going to finish this song."

The next night I get an email from a person from the casting director's office. He is directing a show in Brooklyn by Christopher Durang that is Equity and wants me to come in and read for it.
More Mark: Press | Email | FaceBook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Youtube | Website | Flickr

2 comments:

ChristianDamon said...

AWesome!! Find out what the show is...

Mark Baratelli said...

Oh I guess I should have written that. The title is called "Mrs Cratchit's Christmas Binge" or something like that. I want to play Mrs Cratchit, but I haven't finished reading the play because (a) I am lazy and (b) the person who made the pdf made it so that I have to read it sideways. Like, they put it on the scanner sideways to get two pages on the screen, but then when finished scanning, didn't turn the document 90 degrees so one could read it normal-like.